Tuesday 27 August 2013

The Wedding of the Year: DIY Wedding.

You know that feeling you get after Christmas, when you're sitting there on Boxing Day eating cold turkey sandwiches and realising that soon the tinsel's coming down and you've got to go back to work...? Well that's how I'm feeling after the wedding of the year. Sob.

After over a year of preparation and giddiness, (you'd have honestly thought I was the one getting married) my brother finally got married to his beautiful bride in Shoreditch, in what honestly had to be one of the best days EVER. Not that I'm at all biased.


My now-sister-in-law is one of the most creatively talented people I have ever met, and what she can't do with a bit of fabric and a sewing machine, frankly isn't  worth knowing. She's a crafty whizz-kid.

The theme was beautifully handmade and vintage, without the twee-ness that can be associated with it. Neutral colours, simple but beautiful details and handmade decorations made the day perfectly beautiful and personal.

I'm starting to realise that maybe, just maybe, the £30,000 I like to think I'd need to spend on my wedding might actually not be needed. Here's how they did it:

She handmade the invitations, bridesmaid dresses, the bunting, the place settings and the seating plan, and customised her dress with a simple sash to make it unique. They borrowed table cloths from grandparents, and asked family and friends to make their signature bakes for a cake table. Flowers were bought from a flower market, put together by family and placed as centre pieces in glass bottles collected over the year, and they asked friends to head over before the ceremony to decorate the venue.

The result was a beautiful, traditional and stylish wedding that had so many personal touches I could've cried. And did cry. Obvs.



The invitations...


Place settings and napkins...



Top table, flowers and homemade decorations...


My bouquet is now home to my map flowers...




The new Mrs Shaw...


The newlyweds. Plus me. And some others. And the cameraman...


Every wedding needs a photo booth...

The new Mrs Shaw runs her own handmade weddings company which teaches brides and hen dos all they need to know on how personalise their own day. From handmade garters to garlands, I highly recommend checking it out, or telling any future brides about it. Check it out here...  Handmadeweddings.org


Now can somebody else please get married. I'm having withdrawal symptoms.
x






No comments:

Post a Comment